Puyallup, WA – Senior Mechanical Engineer
Hörmann is a premier manufacturer of steel, aluminum and custom wood garage doors. We provide the building industry with high quality, innovative garage doors at competitive prices while maintaining a reputation of quality, reliability and integrity. We offer a team-centered environment, where each member’s unique knowledge, skills, abilities, and efforts define our success as a company.
We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer for our Manufacturing Plant in Puyallup, WA.
This position applies engineering principles and concepts to perform a variety of work that may include creation of previously non-existent products or modification of existing products, product line extensions, selection and testing of materials or components that will be suitable for the product, and responding to customer requests for a particular product or design. The typical cycle includes conceptualizing, developing prototypes, testing and perfecting designs. Draw solutions from both formal training and experience. Provides guidance and training to Engineering team.
- Review and respond to product related issues, including product design, feature enhancements, product improvement and cost reduction ideas, installation guidance, and special applications
- Works closely with Production, Customer Service, Quality, and Materials
- Implement assigned product engineering projects via the engineering change process procedure
- Drive product changes and specification changes in conjunction with other functional areas.
- Troubleshoot production problems directly related to engineering specifications and bills of material
- Complete detailed engineering analyses based on testing, experience, scientific theory, and engineering principles for existing product lines or new product lines
- Communicate product specifications and product changes to internal customers and helping communications to external customers through Sales
- Use the Engineering Change procedure as the primary tool in accomplishing this task
- Train and educate production, marketing, and sales. External customers include customers, consumers, and regulatory agencies (governmental, legal)
- Responsible for developing product costs and capital expenditure data as required
- Travel as required to vendors and to provide other company representation
- Assist sales representatives or customer in understanding their product requirements, installation methods, and their proper applications. Makes suggestions on available alternatives if possible
- Coordinates testing, both internal and with 3rd party laboratories. Schedule testing, materials, testing standards, timing, and test reports
- Qualifies product design changes and/or improvements by testing according to company, industry, or national standards
Education, job skills and experience needed to be successful in this position: Any combination of education providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology required
- Seven to ten years of mechanical engineering experience and exposure to various types of product design and manufacturing processes
- Proficient in CAD, Microsoft Office, and capital expenditure programs
Knowledge: engineering principals, scientific theory, financial terms, manufacturing methods and procedures, testing, design, structural load and wind load calculations, hardware specifications, quality
Skill: New product design/development/testing, dealing with complexity, strong written and oral communication skills, leading and guiding others, hardware specifications, quality, product development, presenting technical information, CAD, mathematics,
Ability: Read, write, and interpret engineering documents and drawings and translate engineering jargon for customers, marketing, sales, and others, foster a collaborative work environment, work independent and with a team, sit, stand or walk for extended periods of time, lift up to 50lbs with or without assistance, accurately read a tape measure
We offer great benefits:
- Medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 3 weeks paid time off accruing from day one
- 401K with company match
- 9 paid holidays per year
- Paid weekly
- Company paid life insurance
Hörmann is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a diverse employment environment.
Hörmann is a drug-free workplace. A pre-employment drug test must be negative regardless of whether you live, test or plan to work in an area that permits legalized use of marijuana for either medical or recreational purposes.
All offers of employment will be contingent on successfully passing a criminal background check and a pre-employment drug test.