Puyallup, WA – Shipping Supervisor
Come join our team!
Northwest Door is a premier Manufacturer of Steel, Aluminum and Custom Wood Garage Doors. We provide the building industry with high quality, innovative garage doors at competitive prices while maintaining a reputation of quality, reliability and integrity. Our customer base extends across the United States and includes Alaska, Canada and Hawaii. Our company owned Distribution Centers are located in Spokane, WA; Portland, OR; Boise, ID; Denver, CO; Salt Lake City, UT; Bakersfield, CA and San Jose, CA.
We are currently seeking a Shipping Manager to join our team at manufacturing facility located in Puyallup, WA. This position reports directly to the Logistics Manager and has direct responsibility for planning, organizing, and monitoring the shipment of all items in the Will Call, Shipping Dock and Milk Run areas in an effective and efficient manner as needed to satisfy internal and external customer requirements. Line Leads and Department Leads will normally report directly to this position.
- Maintains a personnel structure and staffing level to accomplish the Shipping Department mission in an effective and efficient manner
- Interviews and recommends applicants for hire
- Plans and coordinates work, trains and motivates, monitors and evaluates performance of Shipping Associates; ensures their ability to safely operate material handling equipment to move materials to and from storage configurations; Counsels, records, and disciplines as necessary.
- Develops Crew Leaders to effectively oversee the daily routines of their assigned employees.
- Maintains an equipment structure and level to accomplish the shipping mission in a safe, effective manner.
- Provides appropriate equipment and racking to ensure the safe transport and storage of all materials.
- Monitors the loading of all materials into the Shipping Department; ensures materials are staged for auditing and inspection; ensures shipping reports accurately report material shipped.
- Resolves discrepancies with accounting regarding invoices, packing slips, and shipping reports.
- Monitors the flow of paperwork from shipping to the Shipping Clerk for timely data entry. Oversees the movement of material from staging to the shipping and ultimately the customer in an efficient, effective, and safe manner.
- Assist Logistics Manager in managing truck fleet and driver’s schedules.
- Ensures materials are loaded properly to prevent damage during shipment and comply with safety procedures.
- Monitors and measures shipping performance for accuracy.
- Recommends annual budget requirements for the Shipping Department. Anticipate and request funding for future personnel requirements. Anticipate and request funding for future material handling equipment.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent from a certified college.
- Three to five years’ experience in Shipping, Warehousing, Receiving, Inventory Control, or Materials Management in a manufacturing environment with two years Supervisory experience.
- Formal Lean 6-Sigma training and experience driving continuous improvement initiatives preferred.
Knowledge: Strong knowledge of shipping, receiving, warehouse, and material handling operations, methods, and practices, Knowledge of Bar Code Technology and Electronic Data Interchange a plus, Principles, practices, and methods of NWD manufacturing. Working knowledge of Northwest Door Policies and Procedures (based on federal and local laws and regulations) that are used for the selection, development, promotion and performance change issues including reviews and corrective actions up to and including terminations.
Skill: Planning, coordinating, and directing, evaluating and giving feedback on production activities. Preparing varied timekeeping reports and analyses; communicating clearly and concisely orally and in writing; supervising, training and evaluating assigned personnel.
Ability: Operating a computer and MS Office Software proficiently; multi-tasking, organizing and prioritizing work of self and others; leading a diverse group of employees to a common goal
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including, medical, dental, vision, company-paid life and long-term disability insurance, 8 paid holidays, ample Personal Time Off (PTO), 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, service and longevity awards, free parking and more!
Northwest door is an equal employment opportunity employer. We are a drug-free workplace and a pre-employment drug screen will be conducted prior to any offer.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this level.