Puyallup, WA – Senior Safety Specialist
Senior Safety Specialist
We are seeking a Senior Safety Specialist for our Puyallup, WA location who develops and directs the implementation of effective Health and Safety Programs to reduce risks and protect the health and safety of our employees, customers and environment. This position advises management and employees about the health and safety programs, safety concerns, and regulatory compliance. This position has responsibility for the day-to-day safety measures and compliance of the Company. This position has responsibility for the day-to-day safety measures and compliance of the Company and reports to the Director of Human Resources. This position requires availability to meet with employees regarding safety issues on day and second shifts. Occasional travel to our distribution centers is required.
- Develops, recommends and implements company- wide health & safety programs
- Conducts accident/incident and near-miss investigations at the facility to identify root cause, provide options, and implement a solution
- Represents the Company during investigations conducted by OSHA or by any other federal, state or local safety and health or insurance carrier personnel.
- Manages the Emergency Evacuation Procedure and is the Emergency Coordinator for the Company
- Monitors compliance with applicable health and safety standards as established by OSHA, WISHA and local health & safety laws or regulations.
- Develops and conducts safety training and presentations
- Conducts safety and GEMBA walks, provides advice and counsel on updating safety processes and procedures
- Updates (as needed) and conducts new hire safety orientation; also conducts safety orientation for temporary and contract staff, vendors and suppliers
- Works with the Human Resources department to administer Return to Work, Light Duty accommodations, Stay at Work, Worker’s Compensation and Drug Free Work Place programs
- Determines and updates metrics, benchmarking and KPIs for Northwest Door safety programs
- Administers the hearing protection testing program; schedules testing with vendors, assures that all employees are successfully tests; takes hearing safety measures as needed
- Works with employees on the safety and environmental requirements for new equipment and processes.
- Administers and maintains the SDS information and appropriate access to SDS files company- wide
- Oversee maintenance of all safety equipment, stock and reorder parts and equipment
- Acts as liaison and attends Safety Committee meetings; oversees election and training of members
- Assist with forklift certification and training program
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Job Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in safety or related field
- Three to five years of experience leading and improving safety performance and regulatory compliance in a manufacturing environment
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred
Knowledge: In-depth knowledge of OSHA laws and regulations and the ability to interpret for practical use; best practices in safety, health, and industrial hygiene; lean concepts and tools; safety and OSHA, WISHA reporting; in-depth knowledge of workers compensation, labor and industries claims, return to work programs, stay at work programs; KPI’s, metrics and benchmarking tools
Skill: Conducting accident investigation and analysis; leading teams to a common goal; strong oral and written communication skills; skill in giving effective presentations and facilitate training, strong interpersonal skills; proficiency using a computer and Microsoft Office Suite; administering light duty and return to work programs;
Ability: Ability to manage effectively time to meet targets and deadlines, ability to organize, prioritize and motivate employees to meet objectives, ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately, organized, detail oriented, and ability to multi-task, ability to work alone and with a team on a broad variety of projects, ability to establish and maintain healthy working relationships with people in course of work
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including, medical, dental, vision, company-paid life and long-term disability insurance, 8 paid holidays, ample Personal Time Off (PTO), 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, service and longevity awards, and free parking!
Northwest door is an equal employment opportunity employer. We are a drug-free workplace and a pre-employment drug screen and background check will be conducted prior to any offer.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this level.