Puyallup, WA – Materials Manager
We are currently seeking a Materials Manager to drive the execution of strategic sourcing & business strategies in a collaborative team-based environment to achieve company goals. Work cross-functionally with key stakeholders to drive sourcing transactions with the goal of achieving significant initial cost reductions while maintaining/improving product quality and supplier service levels. This includes vendor selection, negotiations and issue resolution. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Manufacturing.
- Plan, organize, direct, manage and evaluate the material management activities and budget
- Develop, implement, and communicate material management policies and procedures to ensure timely delivery of goods at the most economical cost
- Direct and manage corporate governance and regulatory compliance procedures related to material management operations
- Analyze market and delivery systems to assess present and future material availability
- Develop and implement profit improvement plans and change management plans
- Develop key performance indicators to measure the effectiveness of the material management operations
- Coach, train, manage, and appraise the performance of material management personnel
- Coordinate with purchasing, production and engineering to ensure ample supply and efficient movement of materials
- Keep abreast of production schedules to ensure the timely availability of materials
- Systematically develop and manage mix designs that optimize quality and cost performance
- Provide for the development and maintenance of inventory control systems to track status of purchase orders, inventory levels and production requirements
- Design and implement processes to methodically and proactively adjust mix based on operating results, changes in, or variation in materials as well as operating conditions
- Lead efforts to continuously improve all dimensions of mix performance
- Collaborate with QA on the development of inbound material specifications and qualification processes to insure that supplied materials meet organizational needs
- Collaborate with QA on the development and implementation of in-process specifications and control processes to insure that our process yields acceptable results
- Lead root cause problem-solving efforts regarding mix-related problems
- Ensure competitive quotes are obtained for RFQ’s
- Responsible for all purchasing activities of direct and indirect materials, outside services and procurement contracts
- Responsible for the management, control and organization of all inventory, including costs, conducting physical inventories, and warehouse management
- Manage activities related to strategic or tactical purchasing, planning, inventory control, materials management, warehousing and receiving etc.
- Develop materials cost forecast
- Design, implement and complete supplier auditing process
- Monitor supplier performance in order to optimize quality/requirements
- Perform functions such as preparing proposals and budgets, analyzing labor costs, and writing reports
- Remain current with the latest material management tools and technology and procedures
Essential Job Skills and Experience
Education/Experience/Requirements: Any combination of education and required skills and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Purchasing, Finance or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ of experience as a Materials/Purchasing Manager in manufacturing environment
- Minimum 3 years’ of supervisory experience
- Procurement experience in building products/steel roll forming preferred
- Ideal candidate will have APICS certification.
Knowledge: Knowledge of applicable regulations and standards, administration and management, production and processing, engineering and technology, material handling tools and technology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, personnel and human resources, economics and accounting, computers and electronics; RFP design, negotiation tactics and techniques; inventory and recordkeeping best practices;
Skill: management of material resources, reading comprehension, active listening and learning, critical thinking, sound communication skills verbally and in writing, complex problem solving, judgment and decision making, troubleshooting, time management, and operations analysis, negotiating favorable contracts with suppliers and vendors
Ability: to lead professional employees to a collaborative and common goal; forecast costs, perform audits, write reports, give presentations
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including, medical, dental, vision, company-paid life and long-term disability insurance, 8 paid holidays, ample Personal Time Off (PTO), 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, service and longevity awards, free parking and more!
Northwest door is an equal employment opportunity employer. We are a drug-free workplace and a pre-employment drug screen will be conducted prior to any offer.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this level.